This course is designed for those new to the field of autism. Participants will be introduced to basic concepts and theories relating to Autism Spectrum Disorders. The notion of autism as a spectrum disorder will be explored along with biological, psychological and behavioural aspects of the condition.The workshop will introduce practical approaches alongside theoretical principles. This course is interactive with opportunities for discussion and questions.
After this course you will:
- Recognise the main characteristics of behaviour for people on the autism spectrum
- Understand the triad of impairment
- Understand the range of the spectrum
- Appreciate the particular differences of understanding language with people on the autism spectrum
- Understand the need to backup spoken language visually to help understanding
- Appreciate the importance of routine and predictability for people on the autism spectrum
- Understand the complexity of social interaction
- Appreciate the sensory differences of people on the autism spectrum.
This course is for anyone who supports or comes into contact with adults on the autism spectrum and would like to develop their understanding of the condition.