This workshop is designed for practitioners new to the field of autism.
Participants will be introduced to basic concepts and theories relating to Autism Spectrum Disorders. The notion of autism as a spectrum disorder will be explored along with biological, psychological and behavioural aspects of the condition. The workshop will introduce practical approaches alongside theoretical principles. It will be interactive with opportunities for discussion and questions.
After this course you will:
- Recognise the main characteristics of behaviour for children on the autism spectrum
- Understand the triad of impairment
- Understand the range of the spectrum
- Appreciate the particular differences of understanding language with children on the autism spectrum
- Understand the need to backup spoken language
- Appreciate the importance of routine and predictability for children on the autism spectrum
- Understand the complexity of social interaction
- Appreciate the sensory differences of children on the autism spectrum
This course is targeted at anyone who comes into contact with children who are on the autism spectrum. It will help those who wish to develop their understanding of children on the autism spectrum.