Are you a young disabled person interested in being a Welsh Youth Parliament Member and representing the views of other young disabled people?
Wales will be launching the first youth parliament in
January 2019 and Learning Disability Wales will be one of the
partner organisations supporting young disabled people to have a
Some of the key facts about the Welsh Youth
- 60 young people will make up the Welsh Youth Parliament.
- 40 young people will be elected from constituency areas.
- 20 young people will be elected through partner
- They will be the Youth Parliament Member for 2 years from
January 2019 to December 2021.
- Young people must be aged 11 to 17.
- Young people must live in Wales or be educated in Wales.
- Learning Disability Wales will be electing 2 young people to
represent young disabled people.
Getting involved with the Welsh Youth Parliament
There are many ways young people can be involved:
Getting involved through Learning Disability Wales
We are busy getting ready to find the 2 young people who we will
support to be Youth Parliament Members. This is our plan for how we
will do that:
- During September we are meeting with groups of young disabled
people to find out what skills and qualities they think the young
person representing them should have. By the end of this time we
will have created a job description.
- On October 1st we will launch our search by
sending out the job description and asking young people who are
interested to send us a video, audio or written application letting
us know why they fit the description and would be a good
- We will close those applications on 26th October.
- A panel of young people will then select 4 applications to be
made public for voting.
- Voting will run from 5th November to 16th November.
- We will let the Wales Youth Parliament know who has been
successful and they will announce the names on the week beginning
Please note - votes will be taken from members of
Learning Disability Wales. There will be one vote per organisation
If you are not a member and would like to be involved our
membership is free so please get in touch. You can find out about
the benefits of being a
member of Learning Disability Wales on our website.
If you have any questions and would like to find out more please
get in touch with Zoe Richards, our Young Person and Carers
Manager. Email email@example.com
or phone 029 2068 1160.