Although the previous website was a well-known and established website, which provided useful information and resources to autistic people, their families, parents/ carers, professionals, and the general public, the National Autism Team felt it was time for the website to be refreshed.
Between October 2019 to January 2020, the National Autism Team circulated an online survey asking users of the website, key stakeholders and networks for feedback on the www.ASDinfoWales.co.uk website. A significant amount of responses to the survey was received from autistic people, parents/ carers and professionals. The feedback confirmed that there was room for improvement regarding the user experience and navigation of the site, and that some of the content needed to be updated.
At the beginning of 2020, the National Autism Team completed a procurement process and commissioned a new website provider. During April / May 2020, the National Autism Team established a Project Board and two Stakeholder Groups – one for content, and another for testing. These meetings ensured that the development of the new website included the views and voices of autistic people, parents/ carers and professionals who were well versed in the old website.
The new website includes improved navigation and accessibility, ensuring that relevant information about autism in Wales is easy to find.
Easy read resources
The National Autism Team will continue to work with their Stakeholder Groups to improve the content and resources available across the website. Here are some of the areas they are looking to develop further over the coming months:
- Interactive and narrated versions of the Autism Superhero comic and story books.
- A ‘User dashboard’ to personalise the site for the user.
- Easy Read resources and documents.
- A ‘Children and Young People’s Zone’.
- Improved Employment resources.
- The most recent research and up-to-date information.
- Case Studies to capture the good practice taking place in autism services and Local Authorities in Wales.