Our 2021, “We can work it out” Annual Conference was a success thanks to all our contributors, sponsors and delegates.
Our theme this year was to look at what work, jobs and employment mean to people with a learning disability.
Over the week our programme included films, stories, discussions and expert views on work issues and what needs to change to make the world of work better for people with a learning disability.
Over 200 people joined us during the week, with around 100 attending each day.
Key themes throughout the conference programme were:
- Real Life Stories on day 1 included people from all over Wales sharing their stories of work both paid and unpaid.
- Barriers to Work on day 2 looked at some of the barriers to work faced by people with a learning disability.
- Support into Work on day 3 focussed on how when people get the right support, many of the barriers to work can be broken down so people can get the job they want.
- Valued in Work on day 4 looked at how people with a learning disability can be valued employees and colleagues, and how people value the jobs they have.
- The Change We Need ended our conference with a panel discussion on the 5th and final day. The session provided a forum for discussion about what needs to change to make the world of work better for people with a learning disability. An expert panel spoke about what they think needs to change. And participants got to ask questions to our panel members about the problems and opportunities the future holds.
Our deepest thanks and appreciation to our speakers, contributors, sponsors and staff who brought light to the most pressing issues affecting people with a learning disability.
The takeaway from our conference was that attendees left better informed, positive about the progress made and inspired to make a change in the lives of people with a learning disability as employers and colleagues.
You can see recordings of all sessions with additional resources and links below.